Here is another terrible story. But I post it here in the hopes that we can all learn from this and avoid this from happening again. My heart felt thoughts go out to the little boys family.
I’ve lifted this in full from theage.com.au in case they remove the story.
2 things jump out at me when I read this.
1. NUT FREE ZONE DO NOT WORK! It’s human nature that complacency will set in regardless of how good you think your school is in policing the zone. Get into the real world and make sure everyone is educated, because when you go to the shop or the park or anywhere (even at home) there is always potential risk.
2. ALWAYS LEAVE 2 PENS AT THE SCHOOL. While Declan was at kindy and preschool he always had 2 pens, just in case. Ambulances can take more than 15 minutes to arrive and the second pen may need to be used to follow up from the first if the ambulance is late. Now that he is in School, we actually have 4 pens on campus. 1 in the office in the medical kit, with his antihistamene, 1 on playground duty, and the 2 he normally carries around with him in a bumbag in his classroom (these 2 basically go where Declan goes)
Mother blames peanut exposure for son’s death
March 27, 2007
THE mother of a boy who died from a suspected allergic reaction to peanuts at a Cheltenham preschool has accused the kindergarten of not telling the truth about his death.
Martha Baptist told an inquest into the death of her four-year-old son Alex that she believed exposure to nuts led to his collapse and death on September 15, 2004.
She said the most likely source was a peanut butter sandwich brought by a mother who was on duty at the preschool, Angela Berry.
Mrs Baptist wept as she told the inquest how she had farewelled Alex hours before his death. “He didn’t want me to go,” she said. “I kissed his darling head and off I went.”
She and her husband Nigel are demanding an apology from the Evesham Road Preschool and a full explanation of the circumstances surrounding the death. She said they chose the kindergarten because it had a nut-free policy.
The Baptists were granted an inquest after months of campaigning, including a petition containing almost 4500 signatures, amid concerns from other parents with children who have allergies.
The preschool told the couple that Alex, who had a severe allergy to peanuts, was fed only fruit on the day of his death and did not come into contact with peanuts. Staff told the Baptists that Alex had been happily playing before collapsing without explanation at the sandpit.
An EpiPen, a device that delivers adrenaline in the event of a severe allergic reaction, was mistakenly jabbed into a staff member’s finger in the rush to revive Alex.
Mrs Baptist told yesterday’s Coroners Court hearing that she became aware months after the death that there was another EpiPen at the preschool but it was not used.
“I was told they were not sure about the liability of using the second EpiPen. They considered using it, but decided not to because it belonged to another child,” she said.
Mrs Baptist told the inquest that after a discussion with another mother, she believed that Ms Berry had brought a peanut butter sandwich to the school for her daughter.
But Mrs Baptist admitted she did not know anybody who had seen a peanut butter sandwich at the school on the day of her son’s death, nor anyone who had seen contact between Alex and Ms Berry’s daughter.
Under cross-examination from Aine Magee, counsel for the preschool, Mrs Baptist admitted she had thanked kindergarten staff and parents for their help after the death.
Ms Magee told the inquest that the kindergarten would deny telling Mrs Baptist that a second EpiPen was not used because it feared liability.
The hearing before coroner Audrey Jamieson continues today.