If it were up to him and his mom, he’d be with his friends at his elementary school, but a day at school could be deadly, just as it nearly was four months ago after he came into contact with just a trace of peanuts. His throat began swelling up, and before his mom could drive him to the pediatrician’s office, he passed out.
“It kind of felt like someone was choking me real hard,” Brentson recalls in a casual, matter-of-fact sort of way. “I thought I was going to die, but I didn’t.”
The article then goes on to say this…
It wasn’t until she contacted local media and filed a complaint with Tennessee’s board of education, she says, that the school decided to help. They held educational classes for staff and students about how to avoid and manage food allergies and sent letters to parents asking them not to pack peanut-containing foods in their children’s lunches.
Are you kidding me. The principle should have been sacked on the spot for that. Unacceptable. You can’t hide from anaphylaxis. It’s a growing issue and schools have to LEARN and be TAUGHT how to deal with it.
Again some more…
“It should’ve been safe for Brentson and the other children (with peanut allergies), but it wasn’t,” Laura Duke says. “Brentson could’ve walked into that cafeteria, gone into anaphylactic shock and died.”
If the school places restrictions on foods then it needs to stick to them. We’ve seen this before and it’s no less sickening each time we hear of it happening.
The best policy is not restrictions but awareness and compassion. We find that the majority of children know better than their parents when it comes to their friends issues. Truely a sad state of affairs.