Archive for November, 2005

Teenager with peanut allergy dies after a kiss

A Quebec teenager with a peanut allergy has died after kissing her boyfriend who had eaten a peanut butter sandwich hours earlier.

This is something that really instills fear into the hearts of parents with children that have food anaphylaxis.

Even if you have a great line of commuinication with the childrens friends and their parents, it still comes down to constant vigilence and awareness.

This is a truely sad story.

Aaron

Allergy fears see 360,000 Advent calendars recalled

THE confectionery giant Cadbury has recalled 360,000 chocolate Advent calendars because ingredients which could trigger allergic reactions are not named on the packaging.

Once again this highlights how those with a food allergy and food anaphylaxis are at risk every single day.

Think abou this for a moment, if the big companies make mistakes like this (by accident or on purpose – to use the last packaging in a run rather than dump it), what about the smaller companies where is the trust.

Answer there is none. You can’t trust any off the shelf products, because you just don’t know. You take an educated risk.

Oh to be normal.

Aaron

‘Tis the Season for the FAAN Holiday Cookbook

Here we go with another fine cook book.

“The Food Allergy & Anaphylaxis Network (FAAN) has launched its Food Allergy News Holiday Cookbook to ensure that children of all ages with food allergies and their families can enjoy a delicious and allergy-free holiday season.”

Since we don’t live in the USA we probably won’t be getting this one, however Melanie has her own cook book that she has put together just for us and family and friends. Perhaps one day we should make it into an ebook.

Aaron

Infant and Toddler Food Allergies – the early years

Linked is an all to common story that we as parents of food anaphylaxis children see and hear first hand all the time.

Since we know what to look for and what the signs of having a food allergy look like, it takes only a moment when first introduced to a child to see that they may have a food issue.

But the parents of the children just don’t want to know, and will continue feeding them whatever it is that is causing the child to exhibit signs of food allergies anyway. Its crazy. We have reached a point where we don’t even say anything to the parents anymore, they think we over-react even though they know our children could die from exposure to their allergic foods.

Many new parents will experiment and try to introduce table foods to expand their child%u2019s diet. But according to Samuel Grubman of St. Vincent%u2019s Hospital in a recent article on
infant food allergies, if given before the age of one, some foods can cause serious, even fatal reactions.

The first sign of allergy usually in infants is eczema, which is a dry, itchy, scaly skin condition the hallmarks are really itching and dryness and redness of the skin. You can develop more severe manifestations all the way to anaphylaxis, which could include wheezing, cardiovascular collapse.

There are certain foods that are not recommended for the first year of life, eggs are not recommended, shell fish, fish, nuts, peanuts are not recommended until after the first year of life, specifically after the age of two,%u201D cautioned Dr. Grubman. Citrus fruits, strawberries and chocolate should all be avoided.

Aaron

Parents ask for food allergy legislation

Check out the title link for this story.

We have something of a problem here in Queensland Australia, where schools don’t even have guidelines or regulations for children with food anaphylaxis. Some of the other states do. Go figure.

“Only through education and awareness and training can anaphylactic children truly be safe in schools,” she said. “A regulation or a guideline, in our opinion, never equals law. Law imposes new duties on school boards.”

Also in the story.

“Dr. Joel Doctor, an allergy specialist, says legislation isn’t needed because schools already have policies in place to protect children. He said segregating food in certain areas could also give allergic students a false sense of security.”

A false sense of security is exactly right. So the kids sit down to eat their lunch separately. That may make it a bit safer for that 5 mintues, but isn’t really teaching the kids or their friends any sort of control over what they are doing. Then 5 minutes after eating separately they are out in the playground without cleaning themselves up from lunch and they are exposed to a kid that is covered with a contaminate.

In the end it comes down to everyone in the school having a high sense of awareness, and that the child surrounds themselves with peers that also know what’s going on.

Aaron